Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The mostly LONG and short of it

Ok, as a lot of you already know I've been going through quite an ordeal for almost a month now that I haven't blogged about AT ALL! So for those of you who don't already know (or even if you do) Here is the play by play. It's pretty long (and rambling:) and no pictures, although I'm not sure you'd want any!

We found out December 12th that I was pregnant! NO, we weren't trying (these things happen:) But I was spotting so we knew something was wrong. My doctor suspected an ectopic pregnancy (that is where the pregnancy implants in your fallopian tube) and immediately sent me for an ultrasound AND to the ER. I was in the ER for about 5 hours only to have them tell me they don't know anything definitively and to take a bunch of blood test over the weekend and make a doctors appointment next week, Which I did. Tuesday the 16th I had another blood test, another ultrasound and met with a new OBGYN Doctor in Edmonds. He confirmed our fears that I did indeed have an ectopic pregnancy. They can be life threatening and we need to take some action THAT day. There is two courses of action. #1 an injection of medication to dissolve the pregnancy #2 surgery to remove the pregnancy. The doctor said he felt we caught it early enough that the injections would be a good choice for us. So we did that, which is basically two syringes filled with a medication called methyltrexate (A drug they used to use for chemotherapy) that they inject into each hip. Then we made an appointment for one week out. It wasn't too bad, I felt like a had the flu for a couple of days and a little cramping but overall OK. We went back to the Doctor December 23rd expecting to have a clean bill of health, put this behind us, and enjoy our Christmas. Not so fast, the doctor said my hormone levels weren't dropping the way they should and that I needed ANOTHER dose of medication. We were pretty disappointed, especially that I was going to feel crummy on Christmas. I had A LOT of cramping and pain after this second injection and felt like it must be working. BUT on Tuesday night December 30th (well I guess technically Wednesday morning -31st-12:30am) I had pain so severe I couldn't walk or move. All I could do was cry, and I had had enough! We piled the kids in the car and rushed to the ER @ Stevens Hospital where I was admitted and after 5 hours was told I needed surgery to remove the pregnancy. I was actually relieved to know it would all be over soon:) The surgery was supposed to be a fairly non evasive laproscopy, and I would be released in a couple of hours following. But God had other things in mind:) Upon starting surgery the surgeon found that my tube had actually ruptured and there was too much blood to do a loproscopy and they had to make an incision and remove my right tube and part of my ovary. I awoke to find my loving husband and be informed I was going to be in the hospital for a day or maybe two:( Happy New year! Our loving and wonderful friends Aurthur and Leah and Joe and Elizabeth came to visit on New Years Eve. It was nice visiting with them. I was hooked up to a (morphine?) drip so I had a pretty good New Years!:) My poor hubby wasn't so lucky! We got to kiss at midnight which is all I care about:) I was released the next day but was told I had lost a lot of blood, they actually considered giving me a transfusion, but decided since I was young and healthy that it might be best to let my body "make up" my own blood (I agree, I don't want someone else's blood floating around in me! No offense.) My blood pressure was low (90 over 45 if that means anything to anyone) and I was anemic. SO they sent me home with a bag (literally) of pills and strict orders to "take it easy" over the next two weeks (no driving!) My Mr. Wonderful and adorable husband picked up the slack over the weekend, His gracious mother helped out A LOT!! with the kids! (I can never thank you enough Margie!) My loving mommy is headed (back!) over the mountains (now that they reopened the pass) to help out, and my beautiful friend Leah has my kids for the day so I can rest, take a (much needed!) shower, and recuperate. (Thank you so much sweetie!)

When you go though hard times like this you wonder "what is this all about". I think I "thought" I was good at letting others help me and accepting and asking for help for others, but it was always on my terms and only for so much. I feel God has REALLY shown me that I am not invincible and my pride of "Having it together" may be where I need to grow and trust Him more. I have had to "let go" of all of those things through this and just let others help, love and serve me and it has been a blessing beyond measure. The love I have felt from family, friends, and our Church community has been overwhelming and I thank you all, my heart is full. Despite all of this we did have a beautiful Christmas and tried to stay focused on the reason for the season, Christ.
God is Good, all the time!:)
Jer. 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you; declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you a hope and a future.'"

5 comments:

Heather said...

OH Ande, I am so terribly sorry. Wow. I was wondering where you'd been and had NO IDEA it could be all of that!!! I thought you were going to say you miscarried, which I thought was awful... but what happened ended up so much worse. I'm sorry for the pain and the surgery and especially for the loss of some reproductive parts!!! Were you guys thinking of having more? I know Chad's mom got pregnant with only 1 ovary and damaged tubes. I am just so sorry, but I'm glad you were able (or forced to!) let go and let John and everyone take care of you. I am thinking of you, friend, and hope you recover as quickly as you can!! BIG hugs!!

Sarah Partain said...

Wow, thanks for sharing your story! I saw John mention on Fb that you were on bedrest, and while that caught my attention, I didn't pry! So sorry that happened to you and yet, I am glad that you look back on it and feel that you've made some realizations about yourself and about God. That's when you know it wasn't in vain and that God had a plan! I'm wishing we were there to help; for now, know you are in our prayers for a speedy recovery!

Mamas said...

Much love sent your way!
Now that you're letting go...When can I come clean your house, do your laundry, make you waffles, and take your kids? :)
Love you girl!

Elizabeth said...

I really admire you for sharing this version with us, your faithful blog readers. And especially for sharing the part we couldn't know if you didn't let us in: the part about how God is using this.

Blessings, dear friend!

Smile said...

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!? We weren't in town after Christmas until the first weekend of January, but, if we were, I would have volunteered to help out too! Whoa, Ande, that is shocking news. The pregnancy itself was shocking enough for me. I'm sorry you had to go through everything else. (I vividly remember my mom going through an ectopic when I was young.) SO thankful that you've been able to keep a godly perspective on it all. Brings a whole new meaning to Christmas and having a happy new year...