Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Opinions needed

Alright, I need a new camera. I'll restate that. I NEED A NEW CAMERA!! And I'm really confused on what to get, so I need as many opinions as possible so I can be even more confused:) I've had my eye on the new Nikon s60

It has 10 mp and all the bells and whistles the newer digital cameras come with. It also has touch screen operation which make it seem easy to use but I'm not sold yet. It just came out so there aren't a lot of reviews yet. Anyone have a Nikon that would approve?
Of all the cameras I've seen, I think I like the Cannon power shot best.


Although there are so many models I don't know where to start!But the picture quality, sharpness, and re activeness is to my liking. These have been around longer so maybe some of you have or have used one.... any opinions?
What other compact digital cameras are out there that people like?
Thanks for helping me out guys!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sorry, I don't have any help for you. But I'm hoping to see what other people have to say because I'm in the market for a new camera myself. I didn't realize it was going to be that agonizing of a decision.

By the way, have you figured out what Es is "waiting, waiting, waiting" for?

Rene' said...

I have had the last 3 models of the Canon Powershot and I LOVE THEM. My last one fell in the lake this summer. I have not replaced it yet. My personal opinion would be to go with the Powershot if it was between that and the new touchscreen Nikon. Because the touchscreen is new on the Nikon you want to give it a year or more for them to work out the kinks etc.

I think you will be happy with a Cannon or Nikon, they are both comparable brands. ;o)

Mamas said...

All my camera's have been Nikon and they're great. When you are past ~8mp it really doesn't matter as you won't be blowing your pictures up to huge, huge posters, that's what that's all about...
I loved my little Nikon (that I, um lost). But I'd probably agree w/ Rene on avoiding a touch screen that's not proven yet (touch screens are, well, touchy). Unless it has a good warranty. You could try eopinions.com But the more you read the more you will probably be confused. Go for what's going to match your skills and your subjects.
So for me that means a good flash and fast shutter speed (for them busy kids:). Also try em' both out as if it's to confusing, you won't use all the functions - or the camera to the best of it's ability. Also if it's a Costco - buy it there:). Ok, I am now done and I shall step off my pedestal.
Oh, and fyi the wait is over, for now:).

Heather said...

We've only ever had Nikons... we have a little Coolpix P4 VR that works great as a pocket camera. And then before Aidan was born, we upgraded to the Nikon D60 (similar to the D40) and that's awesome. It's a big camera with big lens. The pictures you're liking are taken with a separate lens Chad bought, called a macro lens. But I have to manually focus it, which is hard. That's the lens that does the whole clear picture/blurry background thing. The other lens that comes with the camera is good too, though. The only other thing I had a tough time getting used to was not having a screen to look at. You have to take the picture through the little viewfinder, like in the olden days!! But it makes it so you can take faster pictures (and don't miss the action!). Anyway, that's my camera talk! I think Chad paid $800 for the camera and the extra lens.